1. I (work) for the company for six years before I got a promotion.
2. He (live) in New York for 10 years when he decided to return to France.
3. I (read) the report before I left the office.
4. I (write) a letter to my partner when I heard this news.
5. He (fix) his car all day before he left for London.
6. The company (prepare) its annual report for a week when this event happened.
7. By the 1990’s they (build) their financial empire.
8. Most of the customers (leave) by the time our managing director got there.
9. He had been listening to our conversation and I wondered how much he (hear).
10. We were tired as we (work) since early morning.
11. She (not receive) any information until it was too late to do something.
12. I (look for) a new business partner for a month before I found him.
Ex.3. True or false? Correct where necessary.
1. Everyone had been spending time packing boxes before the company moved into a new office.
2. We were waiting for you for 2 hours before your secretary called.
3. I failed to speak to him as he had just been returning from his business trip to Italy.
4. I hadn’t finished the report by Monday although I was working at it since Wednesday.
5. When I telephoned my secretary she had gone out.
6. We had been finishing our experiment by the end of the year.
7. I had been studying the problem for a few days before I made a final decision.
8. How long were you doing business in Spain before you met my boss?
9. She was working in the Marketing department for 5 years before she became a good specialist.
10. He was working for this company for years before he could buy a house.
11. When the company went public, we were producing tourist equipment for 5 years.
12. Our lawyer studied the agreement for a week before we signed it.
Ex.4. Translate into English:
1. Вона розсердилася тому, що чекала на мене дуже довго.
2. Ми втомилися через те, що обговорювали наші фінансові плани декілька годин.
3. Вона працювала у відділі збуту рік, перш ніж отримала підвищення.
4. Голова правління проглядав пошту вже півгодини, коли задзвонив телефон.
5. Вона працювала в бібліотеці годинами, доки не написала цю доповідь.
6. Він деякий час уважно дивився на замовника, перш ніж підійти.
7. Він працював на цьому підприємстві 10 років, перш ніж став генеральним директором.
8. Керівник компанії 2 тижні обмірковував усі деталі угоди, перш ніж прийняти остаточне рішення.
9. Перш ніж стати клієнтом цієї туристичної фірми, він довго вибирав.
10. Вони довго збирали гроші, перш ніж замовити ці меблі.
Speech and Discussion
Ex.1. Make an organizational chart for a company you know about. Present the chart to your groupmates and tell what each person on your chart does.
Ex.2. Talk to your groupmate:
s which is the most interesting to work in:
finance department, sales department, marketing department, research and development department, personnel department.
Ex.3. Give your own order of importance of the following activities of a manager and give your reasons.
1. proper motivation of workers
2. making a profit
3. coordination of work
4. fighting competition
5. adherence to the goals set by the organization
6. creating agreeable working conditions
7. setting the organizational principles
Ex.4. Familiarize yourself with the following idioms. Consult your dictionary and translate the sentences into Ukrainian. Think of situations where you could use them.
1. Peter’s success at college cut no ice with the selection committee. They were not impressed with academic attainments but wanted a man with practical experience.
2. We can kill two birds with one stone by combining our honey-moon with our business trip.
3. You can take my word for it, I saw it with my own eyes.
4. The secretary led her boss by the nose until she had spent all his money.
5. You will find it difficult to open a shop in the High Street. There is a lot of cutthroat competition in this town.
Ex.5. Comment on the following:
“Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open.”
TEST 1 (UNIT I)