|There||is are||a book many ships two note-books a picture many cadets a teacher many boys a map ten sailors||on the table on the wall in the port on the desks in the room on the ship|
|Is Are||there||a book many ships two note-books a picture many cadets a teacher many boys a map ten sailors||on the table? on the wall? in the port? on the desks? in the room? on the ship?|
|There||is are||no||a book many ships two note-books a picture many cadets a teacher many boys a map ten sailors||on the table on the wall in the port on the desks in the room on the ship|
Exercise 2. Translate the sentences from English into Russian
1.There are many cabins on the ship.
2. There is heavy traffic in the area and visibility is good.
3. There is a winch on the deck.
4.There is a brush on the table.
5.There is a navigational warning about heavy sea.
6.There is no need to continue at a full speed in reduced visibility.
7.How many decks are there on the ship?
8.There is pollution from the damaged fuel tank.
9. On the chart there is a warning of shoal waters.
10.There is man overboard.
11.There are two radars on me bridge.
12. What is there in the superstructure?
13. There is a lot of work for the officers.
14. There are manuals for the machinery in the Chief Engineer’s cabin.
15. There is new equipment in containers.
16.There is too much cargo on the stern.
16. How many containers are there on the deck?
17. There are new office messages on the table.
18. There is a small fishing boat ahead of us.
20 There is not an emergency anchor onboard our ship.
21. There are strong currents in that area.
22. What dangers are there?
Exercise 3. Read and translate. The Captain describes the MV Transitor in detail. Pay attention to there is / there are.
On the MV Transitor there are five decks. The engine room is below the first deck. There are three rooms on the first deck: the galley, the laundry and the storeroom. Above the laundry there is a hospital. It is on the second deck next to the ratings' messroom. To the right of the ratings' messroom is an office. There are no cabins on this deck but there are cabins on the third deck. There is one cabin for the Pilot and one for the Chief Officer. Between them is the officers' messroom. There is a cabin for the Master on the fourth deck between the radio room and the Chief Engineer's cabin. The radio room is to the left of the Master's cabin. The bridge is on the fifth deck.
Exercise 4. Write sentences using there is or there are.
1.storeroom / first deck:
2.three rooms / first deck:
3.messroom / second deck:
4.two cabins / fourth deck:
5.galley / first deck:
6.two cabins / third deck:
Unit 4. Life - saving equipment
1) 2) 3)
4) 5) 6)
7) 8) 9)
Words to be remembered:
life jacket спасательный жилет
fire hose пожарный шланг; пожарный рукав
eye-rinse station установка для экстренного промывания глаз
fire extinguisher огнетушитель
a life boatспасательная шлюпка/лодка
immersion suit -Гидрокостюм
fire alarm пожарная сигнализация
breathing apparatus дыхательный аппарат
first aid box аптечка
life raft спасательный плот
life buoy 1) спасательный буй 2) спасательный круг
emergency telephone телефон экстренной связи
muster station назначенное судовым расписанием место, место сбора (по тревоге)
Exercise 1. The fire extinguisher or the fire alarm? Listen and circle the words you hear
1. I see smoke. Get the fire alarm / fire extinguisher.
2. Lifeboat drill is at 0900. Bring your emergency suit / immersion suit.
3. There are five life jackets / life rafts.
4. Meet in front of the muster station / eye rinse station.
5. There’s a problem in the engine room. Where’s the operations manual/ safety manual?
6. What’s that noise? It’s the smoke alarm / fire alarm!
7. Launch the life buoys / life boats!
8. Are the headphones / telephonesworking?major.mfk-millenium.ru