Задания школьного этапа областной олимпиады по английскому языку
Part А. Read the text and do the following tasks.
Greenville was a small town in the middle of England. Most of it was full of houses and shops, but in the middle of the town there was a small park with a playground for small children. The park closed at six every evening, and this meant that the playground closed at that time too. And now the town council was discussing if the playground should be open till later in summer.
There was a lot of discussion about this among the members of the town council. A few of them thought that the children should not be allowed to stay out late in the evenings; others said that it was healthy for children to have a change from television to get some fresh air, and to be able to play in the playground instead of doing things that were either dangerous or harmful. At last one of the council members who was a woman asked, “Have any of you ever been to the playground on a summer evening? If you had, you would have seen that there are groups of children playing there after six o’clock every evening.”
“But the playground isn’t open then!” others cried.
“I know,” the woman answered, “but it’s no mystery that there are many small holes in the fence round the playground through which the children can climb. And when they have to get in that way, they are much more eager to do so than if the gates are open. It’s more exciting for them to do things that they think are forbidden, you see, and it does no harm, does it?”
The other members of the town council laughed, and they all agreed that the gates should continue to be closed at six o’clock for the children’s sake, so as not to spoil their fun.
council – совет (орган управления)
to allow – разрешать
instead of – вместо
a hole – дыра, отверстие
a fence – забор
I. Mark the sentences as True or False (4 points):
1. There were a lot of houses and shops in the park of Greenville.____________________
2. The town council was thinking of closing the park before six. ____________________
3. Some members did not want to change the time. ____________________
4. Others wanted the park to remain open for children to stop going out. ____________________
II. Answer the questions (8 points: each answer – 2 points):
1. At what time did one member of the town council see children playing in the playground? _____________ ________________________________________________________________________________________
2. How did they get there?___________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________
3. Why was it a good thing?_________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________
4. Why did the town council agree to continue closing the park at six? _______________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________
III. Choose the right translation (2 points):
It’s no mystery that there are many small holes in the fence round the playground.
Не секрет, что в заборе вокруг игровой площадки много дыр.
b) Все знают, что вокруг игровой площадки есть забор, в котором много дыр.
с) Это не тайна, что дети проделали много дыр в заборе, окружающем игровую площадку.
Part В. Lexical-Grammar Test.
IV. Use the correct tense forms of the verbs (7 points):
1. Don’t make so much noise! I (to study) ______________________________.
2. John can’t find his book. He thinks he (to lose) _______________________________it.
Английский язык. 6 класс. Стр. 1 из 2.
3. Kate usually (to go) _______________________________to school at 8. Yesterday she (to go) ________ _______________________a little later at 8.30.
4. When I (to leave) _______________________________the house yesterday, my children (to play) _____ __________________________volley-ball.
5. My mum (to come) _______________________________tomorrow to visit us.
V. Choose the right article (12 points):
1. There’s ______ dog in ______ picture. ______ dog is playing.
2. Where’s ______ ice-cream? – It is in ______ fridge.
3. I went shopping and bought ______ piece of ______ cheese and ______ bottle of ______ milk.
4. She is ______ old lady.
5. What ______ types of ______ books do you like to read, Liz?
VI. Circle the suitable preposition (8 points):
1. Are you afraid with/of/by dogs?
2. At/in/on Monday I am in/at home at/in 3.
3. Are you going to/at/in school?
4. I live at/in/by 21, October Avenue, not far from/of my school.
5. Would you like some coffee to/by/for breakfast?
VII. Circle the suitable pronoun (6 points):
1. Don’t give your/yours dog some/any sweets.
2. There’s very few/a little/little milk in our fridge. Go and buy some/any, please.
3. There aren’t much /many pens in the box, don’t take some/any/few.
VIII. Circle the right
variant (3 points):
1. A: Have you finished your homework?
B: a) No, I haven’t.
b) Yes, I haven’t.
2. You haven’t forgotten to send a card, …
a) haven’t you?
b) have you?
c) isn’t it?
3. It’s time for dinner, …
a) is it?
b) isn’t it?
c) isn’t there?
IX. Make up sentences (6 points: each answer – 2 points):
1. fire, we, the, down, armchairs, in, before, sat, the.____________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________
2. room, one, there, on, the, was, a, side, of, piano.______________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________
3. playing, team, well, is, football, the, very.___________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________
Английский язык. 6 класс. Стр. 2 из 2.